Thursday, April 15, 2010

Getting Nervous ...

Minimum skills assessment is this Saturday. I’m starting to think there’s at least a glimmer of hope that I will pass. In the last week or so, I have seen a big improvement in my speed and endurance (I mean, of course it didn’t happen in the last week … ). I think if I don’t pass, it will at least not be by a huge margin. If I can just manage the jump, do a good enough crossover, and skate 25 laps in 5 minutes … I pretty much have everything else.

Tonight at practice we did 25 laps in 5 minutes as a pace line. I was feeling like I would be able to keep up, but then during the first or second lap I hit a slick spot on our track and my skate slid out, and down I went. I’m not proud of this, but I was so frustrated that I went to the wall and had a bit of a cry, for about 30 seconds. Then I decided to shake it off and at least skate around the inner track and try not to let the pace line lap me.

Well, to my vast surprise I found that I was catching up to them, and keeping up. So I rejoined the pace line (for the last three minutes), and I finished the drill. I asked Bruiser if it would be OK if I skated around the inside of the track on min skills. I know I can do 25 laps in 5 minutes if I can do that, instead of the way the pace line does it (where they go out to the outside sometimes). I said I assumed that would not be good enough, and … yeah, I started crying again. Bruiser was really sweet about it, and she also said that sticking to the inside track would be OK!!

So, like I said, a glimmer of hope. Either I will pass minimum skills on Saturday (and that would be AMAZING), or I will pass in July (which will be my next chance to take it). There is one more practice before Saturday. One more chance to figure out the crossover, and get past my fear on the jump (because that’s all it is. I can jump high enough to clear the obstacle. I have done it).

On Saturday from 2-4 (Pacific time), if you think of it, send me good derby vibes!

No comments:

Post a Comment