Sunday, March 7, 2010

My first Sick Town bout (as an audience member)

Tonight was my first time seeing the Sick Town ladies in action. I sat in the crash zone (the area just outside the track) with Matt, Bones' very nice boyfriend (and a friend of theirs whose name I have forgotten -- sorry!).

Regardless of the outcome, I just want to say that I am so totally proud of the Sick Town girls. They show grace, class and heart whether they win or lose, and I love that.

A roller derby bout is one of the noisiest things I'd ever voluntarily sit through. I left with a headache that still hasn't really gone away even though I downed three Advils. (The fact that I am all cracked out on Diet Coke probably isn't helping much.)

This was only my second bout; the first one was a Cherry City (Salem) intraleague bout, just before I joined Sick Town. (That was the bout that got me interested in doing derby.) It's much different when you know the people skating. I screamed my fool head off for the Sick Town girls. :-)

It was also a lot different than that first bout, for me, because now I'm starting to understand what's going on. Emphasis on "starting to"; there were still many times when I didn't understand the details of what was going on. (At least I have the basics down, though. :-)

Anyway, it was really cool to see Sick Town in a bout, after skating with them for the last several months. What an awesome group of ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment